Saturday, May 8, 2010

Overnight Oats


Um, yeah...so words can't even describe how ridiculously good this was. I first saw these on Erin's blog, Vegan Homemade, last week. The original recipe came from Angela at Oh She Glows. The base is non-dairy milk (I used soy), vanilla, chia seeds, mashed banana, and oats. That all sits in the fridge overnight for the oats and chia seeds to soak up the milk, then in the morning add maple syrup, nut butter (I used almond), whatever (I also sprinkled with cinnamon), stir and enjoy. And I did. This makes a large serving and it kept me good and full well into lunch time. I can think of many other mix-ins that would probably be fabulous, berries anyone? Angela also has some variations on her site: banana split, banana soft serve, and chocolate protein. The layered soft serve one looks incredible. This was my first time trying chia seeds, well other than to grow a chia pet (yes, I used to have one, shuddup). I didn't buy a lot because I didn't know what I'd think of them, but I'll definitely have to pick up some more so that I can make this amazing breakfast more often.

This is what it looked like before I put in the fridge for the night:

And, here in the morning with my mix-ins before stirring it up:


If you try this out let me know what you put in and what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nichole! I'm glad I could lead you to the overnight oats, aren't they fantastic? I've added you to my links, look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete