Saturday, May 8, 2010

Oven-Baked Chimichangas and Mango-Jicama Salad


I just got Viva Vegan! in the mail and couldn't wait to bust into it. Unfortunately for a lot of the recipes some hard-to-find ingredients (for me, if you are blessed with a bevy of ethnic groceries then you could be in luck) are needed. However, these items are mostly pastes and spices, so once acquired they should last awhile and allow for lots of delicious Latin eats. I scoured the local Mexican supermarkets and found a few things, but a handful of others I needed to order online (AmigoFoods has a great selection). So, while I wait for the rest of my items to arrive I made this salad to go with chimichangas from 500 Vegan Recipes. Both of these were very good. This was a little bit of a high-maintenance salad, seeing as both jicama and mango are not the easiest thing in the world to prep. Terry has a great primer on cutting mangoes in the book, and I watched this video to see how to tackle the jicama since I've never prepped it myself (the lady is a little creepy, but they get the job done). However, once that's taken care of it's simple with just some lime juice, mint, and cilantro. The chimichanga recipe was so good. The fillings were a tofu mixture, black beans, and salsa-cheese sauce.


The crispy tortilla was the best part though. So tasty, and luckily deep-frying as per usual chimi's wasn't necessary to recreate that. Great dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment