Saturday, November 20, 2010

MoFo 14: Savory Breakfast Tempeh and Corn Muffin


Sometimes when I wake up I don't want something sweet, but I still want a baked good. What a dilemma! I searched for a good, long time before deciding that there wasn't a recipe I could find for exactly what I was craving: a corn and tempeh sausage muffin. I found plenty of corn and bean muffin recipes though, so I adapted one for this concoction. I decided to use the recipe for Tennessee Corn Pone Muffins from Vegan Lunch Box and subbed the 1 cup of cooked beans for 1 cup of cooked tempeh sausage crumbles (any corn muffin recipe could work here though). I used some random recipe that I can't find now for the tempeh, but I'm sure the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance (and on PPK) would work well, probably better, because mine lacked a little flavor. You'd only need 1/2 of the recipe though.

The corn pone muffin batter was super crazy thick. I'm guessing the 1 cup of cornmeal and 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed might have had something to do with that. It made it a little hard to work with. The recipe also says it makes 12 muffins--no way! we filled the muffin tins about 1/2 full and got about 8 muffins before the batter was almost gone. Once they were filled to 1/2 we topped each one with some of the tempeh sausage crumbles, then put one more spoonful of the corn muffin batter on top to hold the tempeh in place a bit. Then just a sprinkle of nutritional yeast on them and into the oven. They were very tasty! I ate like half of them throughout the day. I still want to work with this because I think it can be even better, but I'd still call this a success!

Check out: I'm super-excited for the latest installment of Harry Potter. I've read all the books...multiple times. I won't have a chance to go see it 'til I'm out for the long weekend for Thanksgiving though (thanks Anatomy final). I'm glad other people are excited too: check out these adorable cupcakes over at Cute and Delicious to celebrate!

Win! manifest:vegan has a giveaway of an adorable rhinoceros messenger bag for her birthday; Vegan Appetite has a copy of The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life; and Baking is Hot has some fabulous items from Le Creuset up for grabs.


2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a savory baked good! I'm excited for the HP movie too, although I feel like I should brush up on the last one before I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाNovember 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM

    That muffin sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete