Sunday, November 7, 2010

MoFo 7: Basil Scalloped Tomatoes and Croutons

This is a dish that I saw over on Oh She Glows and just knew that I had to make instantly. Unlike many recipes where I think "oh, that looks good. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm looking for things to make," when I saw this one I was like "zOMG, I need to make that now!"




This was still summer time and heirloom tomatoes were at their peak of beauty and freshness. I reduced the amount of parmesan, just sprinkling a little bit of Parma! on top and used sourdough bread for the croutons. It was fabulous; like heaven in a casserole dish. The only caveat is after it sat for a bit it started to get really soggy, so this one will not save well. This wasn't a problem because we both went back for seconds (and thirds) and polished all of this off. This was pretty quick to throw together, so great for a weeknight!

Round-up:

1) Dreena has a post about grow-at-home mushroom kits, and she has a giveaway for one. I've seen these around the internets and I have to say they're pretty cool. I love the idea of growing things at home, even if I do only live in an apartment where my cats kill anything that tries to grow. One day I'll have a yard...maybe.

2) Over at Vegan.Chicks.Rock is a review of a muffin recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance that I've never seen before: Apple Pie Muffins. They look great and I'm gonna have to take her advice and make these so that I too can have a happy tummy.

1 comment: