Thursday, November 18, 2010

MoFo14: Survey Time

I didn't feel like doing a regular post today, so I decided to fill out the survey that's been making its way around the MoFo blogs. The picture above was some cactus we bought recently. My boyfriend is in art school and needed some cool food to photograph, so those came home with us. He took this photo, it's easy to tell that it wasn't me because it's way better that what I can do. I don't think I'm patient enough to be an artist...Anyway, I'd never had cactus before, so after he was done shooting it I looked up how to cook it! We cut off all the needles, wiped off the slime that comes out after doing so, then cooked it up with some asparagus and made fajitas. It was super-good. Another scary food tackled!

And now, for the survey!

1. What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?

String cheese, I used to eat that stuff all the time

2. What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?

All sorts: avocado, mushrooms, onions, eggplant, spinach...I was verrry picky pre-veg

3. What vegan dish or food you feel like you should like, but don’t?

Kombucha. I don't get it, it's disgusting

4. What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?

Without a doubt: water

5. What dish are you famous for making or bringing to gatherings?

Either a dessert (usually cookies because they transport well) or hummus

6. Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?

It's not a rule, but I usually don't like nuts in cookies or brownies--it just ruins them

7. What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?

Kettle Chips Salt and Black Pepper. I don't like too many chips but these are terribly addicting

8. What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?

Hummus and veggie burgers

9. What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get the good stuff?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

10. Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?

If I'm stressed I'm a gigangtic snacker. I like to keep Clif bars around for quick on-the-go snacking and hummus and fruit for when I'm home

11. What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?

Cashews, tomatoes, and spinach...so good

12. What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?

Favorite veggie is kale; favorite fruit is tomato (oh, you wanted something more "fruity?" I also love strawberries)

13. What is the best salad dressing?

The house tahini dressing from New Leaf Market. I'm still trying to recreate it, or at least something comparable

14. What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?

Avocado and tomato. Second would be Earth Balance and Tofurky (don't knock it 'til you try it!)

15. What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?

If I feel like cooking: Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon. If I don't: Anderson's Split Pea from a can

16. What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?

I don't have a favorite, but you can't go wrong with chocolate...or margarita, or spice, or...yeah cupcakes

17. What is your favorite kind of cookie?

Plain old chocolate chip, freshly cooled from the oven (when they're still warm, but not melty)

18. What is your most-loved weeknight meal?

Dragon Rice Bowl from reFresh

19. What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?

Brown rice with steamed kale, seaweed, sesame oil, soy sauce, and sesame seeds. To me this is like perfection in a bowl--I'm alone in this at home

20. Favorite non-dairy milk?

Trader Joe's Chocolate soy milk. I love that stuff, if I didn't stop myself I could probably drink the entire carton in one day.

21. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?

When I made cookies by myself from scratch for the first time, I was about 10. The directions said 2 1/4 cups flour; silly me put two one-quarter cups (1/2 cup) of flour. I didn't know why it was written that way, but I went with it. Needless to say it was a runny mess...runny all through the oven. I still get teased with that story. I guess I could have far worse stories, luckily I've never lit the house on fire or anything

22. Favorite pickled item?

Dill pickles, the giant ones

23. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?

Tofu, peanut butter, and chocolate

24. Fondest food memory from your childhood?

My grandmother making chocolates with me, teaching me how to paint on designs. That was fun...she recently passed away and this memory still makes me smile. The chocolates were in the shape of teddy bears!

25. Favorite vegan ice cream?

Purely Decadent Turtle Trails (vanilla ice cream with caramel swirls and chocolate-covered praline pecans)

26. Most loved kitchen appliance?

Vita-mix

27. Spice/herb you would die without?

Garlic and cinnamon

28. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?

Strawberry. Raspberry is a close second

29. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?

Sweet and Sour Tofu with Broccoli and Almonds from Vegan Yum Yum

30. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?

Tofu, but I'm a fan of them all

31. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?

Dinner on a non-crazy night. Breakfast on weekends is also nice on a lazy day.

32. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.

Bananas, blueberries, peas

33. What’s on your grocery list?

Nutritional yeast

34. Favorite grocery store?

Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Rainbow Co-op (SF)

35. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.

Chicken and dumplings

36. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?

Oh She Glows. I don't know how Angela does it, but she usually updates twice (!) a day and has tons of great-looking recipes

37. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?

Not candy, per se...but Rice Dream makes these mint chip ice cream oatmeal cookie sandwiches that are so good! Divvies caramel corn is pretty awesome too

38. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?

Dr. Cow tree nut cheese

And there you have it. I'm a little sad that I wasn't able to answer pumpkin to any of these answers because I really do love it, but alas, no survey can cover everything.

Cool goings-on in the blog world today:

1) Want an original way to use up Thanksgiving dinner leftovers? Hannah from Bittersweet has got you covered with a Thanksgiving quiche!

2) I have a bag of TVP granules sitting in the cabinet that's been there for months now. I know I bought them with some recipe in mind, but I can't remember what it is. Well, now I'm glad I have them because manifest:vegan has a recipe for a pasta bolognese that looks fan-tastic!

Also quite a few giveaways going on, up for grabs: So Delicious products at An Opera Singer in the Kitchen; Caribbean Vegan at Cake Maker to the Stars; and Skinny Bitch in the Kitch
at Weekly Vegan Menu. Good Luck!


3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the addictive-qualities of salt and pepper Kettle Chips. I have no control where they are concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, cool survey! I'm totally with you on Kombucha. Icky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on the string cheese and salt & pepper kettle chips. I'm waiting for someone to invent vegan string cheese.

    ReplyDelete