Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pizza

Last night I made a vegan version of my boyfriend's favorite pizza from one of our local pizza places, Engfer's (they have great vegan pizza here too). It's got sliced tomatoes, pepperoni, sausage, and pesto.

It took hours...I decided to make the dough from scratch using the dry container for my Vitamix. I then also made the sauce, the pesto, and the cheeze (all of which required either the blender or the food processor, so many dishes to clean). The pepperoni was Yves brand and the sausage was Tofurky Italian Sausage. I had made a pizza before with the Classic White Uncheese recipe from Vegan Vittles. That works really well (it doesn't melt per se, but it looks nice and has great flavor), it however takes hours to set, so I forwent that recipe this time and tried the Melty White Cheeze instead (from the same book; I picked up this book at a used book store for it's cheeze recipes and it has not disappointed). This cheeze was much runnier, so I just mixed it with the tomato sauce as I spread it on the dough. It tasted great, we just had to let it set about 10 minutes after it came out of the oven so it could firm up a bit before cutting into it. It had a great melty consistency while eating though. The pesto recipe is from How It All Vegan, I really like that it uses no oil. It has just a few tablespoons of pinenuts and miso for the consistency, it's really great. So many other pestos are just drowning in oil.

After about two hours of work in the kitchen, we were able to sit down to some yummy pizza. And it tasted that much better because it was made with love.






No comments:

Post a Comment