Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tofu Scramble and Hashbrowns


This morning I was off from work so I cooked up a real breakfast. I had about a 1/2 pound of leftover tofu in the fridge from the tofu bennys, so I made up a quick scramble with that, some spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes. I also had a handful of golden potatoes sitting around so I cooked up some hashbrowns to go with it.

I usually make a fairly simple tofu scramble. I just put a little olive oil in a pan, then add a sprinkle of cumin, turmeric, and garlic powder. I mix these up until the oil is hot, then I add the crumbled tofu. Everything gets mixed up so the tofu is covered in the spices and I just let it cook for a while (until most of the water from the tofu is gone). Then I add some nutritional yeast (usually a couple of tablespoons). Today I threw in the chopped spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Other times I might add some beans. I always eat my scramble covered in hot sauce.

For the hashbrowns, I started by peeling the potatoes. Then I grated them up and cooked them in the microwave (a couple of minutes; 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between). I sprayed a non-stick skillet with oil, then added the cooked potatoes. I sprinkled salt, pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast on them, then just kept stirring and flipping until they were cooked. I had attempted hashbrowns before, but didn't cook the potatoes first and they did not turn out well; they just weren't cooked enough in the middle. The pre-cooking helped a lot and the spices imparted a wonderful flavor.

Good breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment