Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Brownie and Apple Studel


So, this is not a very good picture...I made these brownies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Apple Strudel from The Joy of Vegan Baking as our Christmas day desserts. I didn't have a chance to photograph the strudel. Both of these were baked at my house, then transported 45 minutes to my brother's, then back. So, they were a little worse for wear.

The brownies were interesting. Good, but interesting. I had to bake them about twice as long as the directions to get the pumpkin pie topping to set enough. They were extremely rich, so unless you have a whole bunch of people who are into this combination it will be difficult to finish them before it's time to toss. After eating some Christmas day I gave over half of them away to family and friends and we still couldn't finish what was left.

The strudel is a real winner. I've made it the last three Christmases now; I guess it's gonna be a tradition. It pleases everyone and when I ask what I should make for dessert for Christmas that's now the answer I get. The first year I made it I was with my extended family (about 15 people) and it was gone so fast that I only got one bite of apple left over from someone's plate. The only thing to be aware of is that the phyllo dough needs to thaw for 5-8 hours. Last year I forgot about that and microwaved it so I could use it. It was a pretty ugly strudel, but it worked. This year I remembered and things went much smoother.



No comments:

Post a Comment