Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year and Coffee Cake

First of all, welcome to Twenty-ten! Now...


Look at that crumb topping, and the mini chocolate chip layer! Oh, and there are raspberries in there too! This recipe is from Vegan Brunch, and despite having some hiccups, turned out well. I picked up a springform pan at the local kitchen store the other day and this was a perfect recipe for it. I'd never used one of these pans before, but after breaking one of my other cake pans (my crappy IKEA knives actually cut right through it, yeah crazy) I decided to try this little baby out. If you've never used one before it's pretty awesome, just unhinge and the cake slides right out.

It also helped me save this cake from ruin. I baked on the upper end of the allotted amount of time. I then stuck in a toothpick and was greeted with gooey raspberry and chocolate, not so good for determining doneness. So, I took it out. Isa says to let it sit for an hour before eating, but we were starving, so after about twenty minutes I tried to cut slices out. The whole middle was still a gooey doughy mess. Luckily, I was able to just refit the outside of the pan back on, throw it back in the oven and disaster averted! It took an extra twenty minutes to get it fully cooked. To check I just stabbed and then swirled the toothpick to make sure it was definitely done in the center.

After getting it fully cooked and cooled (of course not an hour, like 20 minutes) we were able to dig in for real. It was a fabulous combination. I don't know if this would even be worth it if it didn't have chocolate. I loved that the chips got really crispy as it melded with the crumb topping. Fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo chocolate chips AND raspberry! I was wondering how the chocolate would go with the crumb topping but it sounds totally delicious! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete