Saturday, January 30, 2010

Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Collard Greens and Chipotle Black-Eyed Peas


I'd been wanting to make this recipe since I first received Get It Ripe and finally got around to it recently. It completely met my expectations of greatness!

I used two different kinds of sweet potatoes, 2 white and 2 orange. The maple syrup brought out their sweetness beautifully and while everything else was cooking I was happy to continue "tasting" these. The collards were simply steamed and required nothing else for this dish because the potatoes and beans had so much flavor. The beans (which I had some trouble finding dried and not canned--available at Staff of Life) were cooked with zucchini, onion, chipotles and several spices. I didn't particularly care for the flavor of the beans on their own, but added to the collards and potatoes they were yummy--a very nice contrast of flavors here (spicy and sweet).

The one thing I was disappointed with was how much food this made. It says "serves 4" but I had enough food for a small army. I would say this feeds at least 6 very hungry people. We ended up having to waste quite a bit because we just couldn't eat it anymore (I even made a wrap with these and hot sauce one day to try a different way to eat it).

No comments:

Post a Comment