Monday, February 22, 2010

Donuts: Fail


So, my same visiting friend wanted to try out making some donuts for breakfast. I had received a donut pan for Christmas and hadn't used it yet, so I was quite excited as well. We used this recipe from VeganYumYum; we didn't make minis so this made 6 regular sized donuts. We ran into a number of problems. Despite being told not to spray the nonstick pan that probably would have been a great idea because my first attempt at getting one donut out was it breaking into several pieces because it was stuck in parts to the bottom. They were also not very sturdy. It said they wouldn't be golden on top but a tester will come out clean, so that's when I took them out, but they were very fragile. When glazing we couldn't dip them for fear of them breaking, so we spread the glaze on, which worked fine, and then topped with sprinkles.

They turned out quite adorable. However, they didn't taste that way. I took one bite and all I could taste was salt. I didn't eat anymore after that and just made some toast for breakfast. Everyone else thought they tasted alright but were nothing amazing and would have preferred if they held up a bit more. All well. I've tried this recipe from VegWeb before to good results, I think I'll try it in the donut pans instead of muffin tins next time.

2 comments:

  1. I want vegan donuts so much! I did mot know you could get donut pans tho...I need to investigate further...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, any well-stocked cooking store should have one; otherwise Amazon sells them (http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Nonstick-Cavity-Donut-Pan/dp/B0002KZSSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267063556&sr=8-2). I think they'll also be really good for making little cakes that can then have the hole filled up with fruit or sauce of some kind...I'll have to experiment further with that.

    ReplyDelete