Monday, February 22, 2010

Gardein "Chicken" Scaloppini with Shiitake Sake Sauce, Braised Pea Shoots, and Crispy Udon Noodle Cakes


I'm no Chef Tal, and I may not be able to reach his level of presentation, but I was definitely able to enjoy this dish looking the way I threw it together. I decided not to make circles out of the cooked udon noodles because it seemed wasteful to me and that pretty much killed the presentation right there. Gardein is still pretty new, so it can be hard to find. I wasn't able to find the Chick'n Fillets which are fresh, and instead used the Chick'n Scaloppini, so I left it in one piece since they couldn't be cut while frozen. I subbed creminis for shiitakes because I couldn't find those right now either. I also used vegetable broth instead of faux chicken stock. But anyway, everything else was the same! Oh, except I didn't use as much Earth Balance for the sake sauce either because I didn't think it was necessary. And that sauce was good!

This dish tasted amazing. It was the first thing I've made from this book, and reading this recipe was actually the reason I bought it, so I'm glad it lived up to its high hopes. As soon as we were done eating this my boyfriend said: "you can definitely make this one again!" Sounds like a winner to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment