Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Roasted Portabella, Potatoes, and Salad


My original goal here was to make roasted Portabella pesto sandwiches, however the only ripe tomatoes at the store were cherry-sized heirlooms and it's impossible to buy only 2 sandwich rolls at any of the stores in town (seriously, what am I supposed to do with 8?!), I decided to just serve the mushroom open-face on a slice of sourdough with pesto on it along with roasted potato "fries" and a side salad.

For the mushrooms I used the recipe from Veganomicon. It's hard to believe, but I didn't always like mushrooms (or avocado, eggplant, nuts...), this is the recipe that made me fall in love with portabellas, and it's a keeper. The caps get marinated in a mix of balsamic, wine, tamari, garlic and then roasted to juicy perfection. The pesto is from How it all Vegan.

For the potatoes, I just cleaned and cut golden potatoes into wedges, coated them in a little olive oil, salt, and paprika and roasted in the oven until cooked through and crispy. Trying paprika on roasted potatoes was a new one for me that I'll definitely repeat because it turned out great. Lent a nice smoky flavor to the crispy outsides of the potatoes.

Our salad was just a quick throw-together of spring greens, shredded carrot, golden raisins, and heirloom tomatoes with an apple-cider vinaigrette (from ReFresh).



No comments:

Post a Comment