Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Smothered Seitan Medallions in Mixed Mushroom Gravy, Mashed Potatoes and Bok Choy


This seitan recipe is from Vegan Soul Kitchen; it was also featured in Vegetarian Times. I made a few changes. First we halved the recipe, we also cut our seitan into strips and dredged them in flour mixed with a little garlic powder and pepper versus arrowroot powder. I also cooked them in my cast-iron so that I could use much less oil (his recipe calls for over a cup of oil!). I didn't have time to make a mushroom stock and none of the ones at the store were vegan, so I subbed vegetable stock and used only cremini mushrooms because buttons were unavailable; I doubled the amount of mushrooms in the gravy to make up for the lack of mushroom stock. I also left out the cabbage, scallions, and parsley at the last part of the recipe (using only the jalapeno). Ok, I think that's it, I followed the rest of the recipe! For the potatoes we used golden Yukon and mashed them with a little bit of Earth Balance and soy milk and for the bok choy I just sauteed it in a bit of soy sauce and mirin. This was one tasty meal! Nothing from Bryant Terry has disappointed (except for the oil factor, but that's usually easily rectified) and this was another one to add to that list. The fried seitan simmers in the gravy and stock for 30 minutes giving it a great flavor and texture. The mushrooms were awesome, the sauce was awesome, it was just great.



No comments:

Post a Comment