Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red Bean Lager Chili and Cornbread


This is another spectacular recipe from reFresh. This chili is chock full of vegetables and the tomato base is flavored with chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, and cinnamon...mmm. Oh, and did I mention it has beer in it? Hell yeah. I think it's quite obvious I like to cook with beer (Chocolate Beer Waffles, Smoky Red Bean and Pepper Gumbo, Tacos, Fajitas); it's a relatively new discovery and it's just so good in so many things. What's also really great about this chili is it doesn't take hours. The tomatoes and beans come from a can while everything else is fresh saving tons of time.

We served this up with some cornbread from The Joy of Vegan Baking. This is our favorite cornbread recipe because it's simple, tasty, and uses a fraction of the oil of other recipes. I wish I had taken a picture of how it turned out this time. I had my boyfriend make it and he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, so instead of adding 1/2 cup of corn kernels he added an entire can! Like 1.5 cups. It was some super corny corn bread. It tasted fine apart from it not getting quite as crunchy due to all the added kernels. We had a laugh out of it and that's what's more important!



No comments:

Post a Comment