Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cauliflower Dal with Panch Phoran and Sauteed Spinach


I was out of state visiting family for a while, but I'm back finally with what we had for dinner weeks ago. This dal recipe is from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and is super tasty. It's got tons of flavor, it's hearty, and it's filling. Cauliflower is not my favorite vegetable; I'm only likely to eat it if it's cooked into something with lots of flavor and it's soft--this fits the bill perfectly! My only complaint is that it makes too much. When I read a recipe I try to determine how much it's gonna make and whether I should make only a fraction, taking into consideration how many other things I'm making that week, how likely I am to use leftover ingredients, and how likely we are to eat leftovers of said dish. Knowing I wasn't very likely to use a half head of cauliflower I made the entire recipe and we didn't come close to eating even half of it. I served this over quinoa, but next time I wouldn't do that, it's so soupy and chunky that it needs nothing as a base. I really liked the addition of sauteed spinach here. I cooked it up in a bit of peanut oil with some garlic and ginger powder, soy sauce, and a splash of mirin.

No comments:

Post a Comment