Saturday, April 3, 2010
Beanball Subs (or Daiya Dish #1)
Having never had a meatball sub before I have no idea where this craving came from. I blame the cheese. I don't really care for the taste of a lot of mock meats, so I went with the beanball recipe from Veganomicon for this. They were excellent.
makes 2 sandwiches
1/2 recipe beanballs (from Veganomicon, p. 189)
1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
2 sandwich rolls (we used ciabatta), sliced
Daiya to taste
1. Make beanballs according to directions. Begin to bake.
2. Chop bell pepper. Place pieces on baking sheet with beanballs.
3. During last 5 minutes of baking add pizza sauce to baking sheet.
4. Place bread in oven on separate baking sheet.
5. After 5 minutes remove everything from the oven.
6. Change oven setting to broil.
7. Stir sauce, beanballs and bell pepper to combine. Pile onto one side of each roll.
8. Sprinkle Daiya on both sides of bread. Return to oven.
9. Remove when bread is slightly browned and cheese is bubbly. Cut in half.