Saturday, April 10, 2010

Enchiladas


Now that Daiya is available for our melty pleasure I had to recreate an old favorite: cheesy enchiladas. There is nothing healthy about these, but I had to try it!

Cheesy Enchiladas

makes as many as you want (we made 6)

flour tortillas, medium size
enchilada sauce, canned or homemade (we used canned)
Daiya cheese
Chicken-less strips, chopped (we got these at Trader Joe's, Gardein also makes some)
canned diced green chiles

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour enough sauce in baking dish to cover bottom
2. Pour a good amount of sauce on either a plate or in a pie dish for coating tortillas
3. Heat 1 tortilla on a skillet, once warm coat with sauce
4. Move saucy tortilla to baking dish. Add cheese, chick'n, and chiles. Roll up
5. Repeat steps 3&4 until number of desired enchiladas are formed
6. Pour sauce over top of rolled enchiladas. Top with more cheese and chiles
7. Cover dish with foil, bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more

We served these up with refried beans. I'll be honest, these kinda freaked me out. If I hadn't made them myself I would have wondered what was in them; the meltiness of the Daiya cheese is gonna take me a while to get used to after not having that texture available for so long. The flavor was great though and they were even better as leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment