Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chana Masala, Spinach, Rice and Naan


Using the Indian style spinach recipe from Alternative Vegan, the Chana Masala recipe from The Vegan Table, and the naan recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking I was able to make full-blown Indian feast for dinner. The spinach we make often and is a real winner, so full of flavor. I'd never used this chana masala recipe before, but it didn't disappoint. Since the naan took several hours to make (mix, rise, roll, bake) I let the chana simmer for a while to give it more flavor. Every twenty to thirty minutes I would add more water and stir. It was on the stove for a good two to three hours; it had tons of flavor and left the house smelling amazing. I added a bit of plain soy yogurt at the end to give it some creaminess. I would have liked for it to have been a bit spicier, so next time I'll add some chili peppers. The naan didn't turn out as I had hoped. It had great flavor and tasted pretty authentic but the texture was all wrong. It was too dense. There are lots of recipes for naan on the internet so I'll have to try a different one next time to see if I can find something closer to what I've had in restaurants (pre-vegan, since I've been unable to find it anywhere without ghee or milk in it). I served this up with some brown rice instead of the more traditional basmati. Of course, when we ate this we just mixed everything up together and scooped it up with bread, but it looks nice all separated like that. Leftovers of Indian food are always fabulous because the spices just continue to mix together--great lunch the next day!




No comments:

Post a Comment