Saturday, April 10, 2010

Brownies


I had high hopes for these brownies from the PPK. I have yet to find a vegan brownie recipe that knocks me off my feet, these had great reviews, but they still didn't quite hit the mark. Maybe the problem is that I grew up on baking mixes and had never had a number of things from scratch (let alone knew where to start in making them that way). When I bite into a brownie I'm hoping for the taste of one from a mix: the nice crispy-flaky top with the chewy insides. These were too dense, a bite or two (especially of an edge) was alright, but more than that was too much for me. This version is much better than the one I've tried from The Joy of Vegan Baking (those ones I didn't even want to eat they were spongy and I think they could have bounced if I had tried it), but I'll keep looking. The brownie recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar states that it is reminiscent of a baking mix, so I'll try that one next and see what's up.

2 comments:

  1. I made the brownies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar hoping for the same "out of the box" taste, didn't hit it for me. They were a bit dry-I need gooey to satisfy that brownie craving. Maybe I needed to add more oil or soy milk? Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tara: Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try these ones next instead--Bitchtastic Brownies from "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" (http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=1357&catId=10).

    ReplyDelete