Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Almond Broccoli Sweet and Sour Tofu


This recipe from Vegan Yum Yum caused me a bit of grief. I guess I'll start by saying it tasted great and the sauce had the fabulous gooey consistency of Chinese take-out, so that was good. However, I had a lot of problems with the tofu. It requires tossing the cut pieces in Ener-G egg replacer and water, and then cornstarch to give a nice coating before frying them. While I did this I became well on my way to making a nice tofu paste. I'm guessing I didn't press my tofu enough and there was still too much moisture to make this work correctly. Next time I will definitely make more of an effort (this little kitchen gadget looks fabulous for this purpose, btw--it will be on my Christmas list). I also placed the tofu in a bowl and attempted to coat it by stirring; this was not a good plan. I should have gone the shake-in-a-bag (or tupper) route, I think this would have worked much better. Then, since my coating wasn't very uniform, and in many parts non-existent, the tofu didn't fry up very well and I had a big mess in my wok.

I'm hoping that my tofu problems can be remedied with the above ideas, because this was really good (even with my fried "tofu paste"). The almonds mixed in with the broccoli, tofu and sweet and sour sauce was perfect. I served this over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment