Sunday, November 8, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms and Zucchini Roll-ups


We were heading to a little get-together with some of my school friends last night, so we whipped up a couple of appetizers to bring along. Both of these are from The 30 Minute Vegan. We were also busy earlier in the day so I wanted a couple of things that wouldn't take too long, both of these fit that bill nicely.


The mushrooms were stuffed with a mixture of the stems, Tofutti cream cheese, red bell pepper, spinach, nutritional yeast, and some spices. I left out the onion it called for, and after mixing in the food processor it was too runny, so I added additional spinach, nutritional yeast, and threw in some bread crumbs; after mixing again it was a perfect consistency. They turned out quite lovely with the bubbly brown bits on top. I didn't have a chance to try these while they were still warm, which is when they probably would have tasted their best. They were still quite good at room temperature though. Many people liked these and asked what was inside.


The zucchini roll-ups were extremely good. They consisted of strips of zucchini rolled up with an herbed tofu ricotta. I had a little trouble getting them to stay rolled prior to baking (the zucchini was too firm and I didn't want the strips to break), so I just lied them out on the baking sheet and then rolled after baking. We also stuck toothpicks through them so that they would stay rolled during transport and for ease of serving. I also drizzled these with olive oil and sprinkled with salt before serving. I think I ate like half the plate of these myself--so tasty. When I make these again I will half the tofu mixture that is used as the filling. I didn't place it all on the strips before baking and then when rolling up a lot just fell out, so there was a fair amount of it wasted which I didn't like. But, all in all, a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment